Chris Slade describes the son et lumiere presentation at the abbey of Bon Repos called "Le Pays de Conomor" in Brittany, which takes place during the first two weeks of August.
A French newspaper claimes that the French have won the gold medal in being the most pessimistic race.
A survey has been carried out in 53 countries. In France, 61% of those surveyed thought their social and economic conditions were worsening. The survey average for all 53 countries was 28% !!.
But why are the French so pessimistic, they have so many reasons to be cheerful !!…..
* For a start they live longer. The average age for a man is 78 and for a woman, 85. There are over 15,000, 100 year olds in France.
* Their health system has a reputation of being the best in the world. They have twice as many hospital beds than England.
* They have an excellent (albeit expensive!!) road network.
* Statutory 5 weeks holiday a year, and when you are working just a 35 hour week and you have 11 bank holidays a year this can’t be bad.
* The population density is just 100 habitants per km2 compared to the UK’s crowded 250 people per km2.
* And to top it all the climate is great, lots of sunshine with temperatures not too hot nor too cold.
Editor’s Note : Do you agree that the French are more pessimistic than other nations or are the media wrong? Are they right to be more pessimistic than the rest of the World? Add your comments below please…