Bonneau Services

Comprehensive translation, interpreting, relocation and administrative services. Your Helping Hand in Brittany / France.

Covid complications causing concerns

Martin and Nadine haven’t been to France since January, and Covid complications certainly are an issue and a constant worry. It seems sorting out a ferry crossing isn’t the only hurdle. Is it better to go or to cancel?

Requirements for driving in France – Breath Test Kits

On 1st July 2012, a law was introduced in France: all drivers had to carry a breath test kit in their car. Find out why and if or how that law was implemented. Read more about the driving requirements in France.

Kouign-amann vs Lardy cake

Kouign-amann is a beautiful, buttery, traditional Breton cake. During the current lockdown, unable to travel to Brittany, we have found an alternative: the British lardy cake. Read on.

Exporting a UK-bought LHD car to France

Is it possible or indeed practical to buy a LHD car in the UK, originally registered in Poland, and then import it to France? Are there guidelines to be followed?

I arrive at the Citroën garage.

‘What do I need to do to register my 2CV in France?’

I am told to go to the third office on the right. Here I am given a form.

I require 4 documents and each of these 4 documents requires supporting documentation (no surprise here!):

1. Certificat d’Importation

2. Certificat de Conformité

3. Contrôle Technique

4. Carte Grise

My first step is to go to the Impôts Office in Ploërmel with a letter from the seller, confirming that he has sold me the 2CV, and the registration document. I am given a certificat d’Importation.

Will the 2cv pass its' MOT?

Will the 2cv pass its’ MOT?

Flushed with success, I return to the Citroën garage. My next step is the certificat de conformité. To obtain this certificate, I need 8 documents and to provide a cheque for €150. One of the documents I need is a contrôle technique (MOT). I drive to the MOT garage.

‘Oh non, madame, we cannot MOT your car until you have the certificat de conformité.’

I show the MOT mechanic my letter from Citroën which says I need a contrôle technique before I can apply for the certificat de conformité. He shows me an official document stating that he cannot perform a contrôle technique unless he has a Carte Grise or a certificat de conformité.

I return to the Citroën garage. I explain that it appears that I cannot obtain either document without first obtaining the other.

The Citroën overalled mechanic gives a gallic shrug.

I leave the 2CV Chez Citroën. Will they be able to sort out this bureaucratic tangle?

Please help us!

If you found this useful, please let your friends know by sharing it here...